Summer is here and as the weather gets warmer, the mosquitoes will come out. Although these small insects are more active at night, they won’t miss an opportunity to ruin your outdoor gathering. Mosquitoes not only leave itchy bites, but they can also spread harmful diseases like Zika and West Nile Virus. For tips on treating and preventing mosquitoes, keep reading.
What are Mosquitoes Attracted to?
Mosquitoes are attracted to:
Stagnant Water: mosquitoes need stagnant water to complete their life cycle. Even a teaspoon is enough.
Carbon dioxide: mosquitoes have very poor vision, so they rely on your carbon dioxide to locate you, especially if they’re trying to lay eggs. They need a blood meal before they can reproduce.
Body heat: in addition to carbon dioxide, mosquitoes will also sense a person’s body heat when searching for a victim
Sugar: adult mosquitoes feed on nectar, honeydew, and other sugary substances so don’t be surprised if you see them swarming your soda or desserts.
*Fun Fact: only female mosquitoes bite. The male mosquitoes feed on nectar.
How Can I Stop Getting Bitten by Mosquitoes?
- Eliminate all sources of stagnant water to prevent breeding grounds
- Empty out small plastic swimming pools after use
- Change birdbath water weekly
- Clean out gutters and downspouts
- Dump water out of old tires, trash cans, wheelbarrows, etc.
- Ensure window screens and door screens aren’t damaged
- Keep doors and windows closed
- Apply a repellent that contains DEET or picaridin
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants
- Wear light-colored clothing
- Sleep under a mosquito bed net
- Turn on your air conditioner or fan
How Do You Make Mosquito Bites Go Away Faster?
Don’t scratch mosquito bites this can lead to an infection. Rather, apply an antihistamine or anti-itch cream to the affected area to help alleviate the itchiness. You can also take an oral antihistamine such as Allegra or Benadryl. Applying ice to the bite can also be helpful for mosquito bites.
Professional Mosquito Exterminators
Even if you’re being proactive at deterring mosquitoes, your neighbors might not be. So if you’re still battling these small nuisance pests on your property, contact a professional like United Pest Solutions for safe and effective mosquito control. We’ll customize a treatment plan that will fit your needs and budget. Don’t let these pests ruin your summer, contact us!