Although ants prefer to live in their native outdoor environment, they may find their way into your home in search of food, water, and shelter. While you may need to contact a professional to effectively remove your ant problem, you can help prevent them from returning with these helpful tips from United Pest Solutions.
What Attracts Ants?
Most ants prefer moist areas, sugars, and protein but it all comes down to the ant species. Carpenter ants in particular are also attracted to moist and rotting wood.
How to Prevent Ants
The key to preventing ants is to eliminate harborage sites around your home. Follow these steps to help deter an ant infestation.
- Block of access points: apply a silicone-based caulk to any holes or gaps around your home. Pay particular attention to cracks in your foundation and areas where utility pipes enter. Replace damaged weather stripping.
- Trim back shrubs: shrubs that are close to the home can often act as little highways for ants. Ensure they’re well trimmed away from your home.
- Eliminate moisture: consider using a dehumidifier in damp attics, crawlspaces, and basements to help reduce moisture.
- Repair water leaks: take the time to inspect your plumbing and repair any leaks that may be attracting ants. Also, ensure your gutters and downspouts are functioning properly so that water flows out and away from your home’s foundation.
- Maintain cleanliness: wipe down your countertops, sweep, and vacuum to remove crumbs and food residue. Don’t forget about your pantry shelves. Also, make sure to toss out your garbage regularly.
- Store food properly: store your food in airtight containers, including pet food.
Experts in Ant Removal
Eliminating ants can be challenging. Once they’ve gained entry into your home, they may build satellite nests in hard-to-reach locations, and before you know it, you have a full-blown infestation.
Some ant species can pose health risks while others, like carpenter ants, can cause serious property damage with their excavating habits. So if you’re dealing with ants, contact your local pest control company like United Pest Solutions. We’ve been serving the Seattle metropolitan and Puget Sound area since 1960. We’ll inspect your property, identify the ant species, and recommend the best course of treatment. Give us a call today for fast and personalized service!