As the temperatures start to drop, you won’t be the only one looking for warmth. Insects and other pests will start to look for sources of warmth to take shelter in–and unfortunately, this haven can be your home.
Prevention is an important part of pest control which is why we at United Pest Solutions have come up with some tips to keep pests out of your home this fall.
Do It Yourself Pest Control Tips
Rodents, cockroaches, and other pests are not only a nuisance, but they can also bring with them a number of health threats.
We recommend these pest-proofing tips for the fall season.
- Examine the perimeter of your home and look for signs of pest infestations such as holes or nests.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of your home using a silicone-based caulk. Pay close attention to where utility pipes enter your home.
- Screen openings to your chimney as well as attic vents.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Dispose of garbage regularly.
- Eliminate moisture, including clogged drains and leaky pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping around doors and windows.
- Install door sweeps.
- Repair damaged door and window screens.
- Replace loose mortar.
- Rake leaves often.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home and on a raised structure.
- Keep your shrubbery well-trimmed.
- Eliminate clutter.
Pest Control in Seattle WA
As we said above, fall is a time when we see an uptick of pest activity. Rats, mice, squirrels, raccoons, and other pests will all be looking for warm places to nest.
Even with these tips, there’s still a chance that pests will make their way inside of your home. When that happens, contact the experts at United Pest Solutions. We’ve served the Seattle WA and surrounding area since 1960. We’ll inspect your home, identify vulnerabilities, and protect your home against unwanted pests using Integrated Pest Management techniques. Contact us today to schedule your inspection!