Termites are notorious for causing significant damage – experts even estimate that these pests are responsible for about $5 billion in repairs each year! That’s why it’s so important to keep an eye out for signs of an infestation. Though many homeowners assume that termites are only a summer problem, these pests actually remain active all winter long, so you’ll want to watch out for them year-round. Here are the top signs of a termite infestation to look for:
- Mud “tubes” in or around your home. Most termites will build small mud tunnels extending from their nest. These tubes allow termites to travel freely without risk of drying out or being spotted by predators. If you spot these in or near your home, it’s important to contact a pest control expert before these pests can cause more damage.
- Damage to the floor, ceiling, or walls. Termites primarily feed on the cellulose found in wood, though they can also eat a number of other objects that cross their path. If your floors, ceiling, or walls have noticeable but unexplained damage, it could be a sign of termites.
- Cracking or bubbling paint or plaster. As termites feed on walls or support beams, the paint or plaster may bubble up. The bubbling may look like minor water damage, but if it is caused by termites, then it could be a dangerous sign that termites are causing significant destruction in your home.
- Electricity is frequently short-circuiting. Electrical fittings give off heat, which often attracts termites – especially in winter when the weather is cold. This may cause termites to chew around your electrical components, which may cause short-circuits. To check for this problem, look along your electrical fittings for soil, mud, or other signs of termites.
- Spotting live or dead termites. Live or dead termites in or around your home is a surefire sign that these pests are invading your home. If you find termites in your home, call an expert to get rid of these pests as quickly as possible.
Reliable Termite Control in Seattle WA
A termite infestation is no joke. Not only are these pests incredibly damaging, but they can also be very challenging to remove – especially since they are experts at hiding in hard-to-reach areas. To keep your home safe from termites, call the termite control experts at United Pest Solutions today! Our technicians have nearly 60 years of experience serving homeowners throughout Seattle WA, and we are dedicated to providing you with fast, friendly, and reliable service. To get rid of termites quickly, call us today!